I’m compiling a masterlist of places to get reviews. (It’s not organized in any particular way.)
Do I do reviews? Maybe. I’ll take a look at your short stories (2000-7500 words) for free. I can’t guarantee a review and waiting times will vary. Send your digital files to email@example.com with the subject “Review.” I’ll post on Amazon and Goodreads if I liked it. If I didn’t like it, I may email you an honest critique. I can still post a review if you want.
Disclaimer: a link does not mean an endorsement. This is just stuff I’ve found. If you think something should be added or removed, send me an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prices are in USD whenever possible. Links and prices are subject to change. Information is current as of March 2016.
PAID REVIEWS (and a few other things)
- $425 (7-9 week wait) or $575 (4-6 week wait)
- Reviews can be positive, negative, or neutral. Authors choose whether reviews get published.
- Reviews are posted on their website, maybe in their magazine, and with affiliates (Barnes & Noble, Ingram, Google Books, and more)
- Note: there’s a difference between a Kirkus Review and Kirkus Indie Review. Usually not to most people, just literary agents.
- Submissions must include a fact sheet or press release. Digital files can be submitted but there must be a print version available. Submit 2 months before publication.
- Reviews are included in their magazine.
- Reviews can be positive, negative, or neutral (1 to 5 stars). Authors choose whether reviews get published.
- Reviews are posted on their website, Ingram, Baker & Taylor, Cengage, Bowker, and EBSCO.
- $400 (7-9 week wait) or $500 (4-5 week wait)
- Authors choose whether reviews get published.
- Reviews are posted on their website. Submitted books may be eligible for their “BlueInk Best Book Award.”
Foreward Clarion + Blue Ink package review
- Includes a Blue Ink review delivered in 4-5 weeks (normally $500) and a Clarion review delivered in 4-6 weeks (normally $500).
- Reviews are posted on Blue Ink, Foreword Clarion, Ingram, Oasis, and iDream Books. Some reviews will be included in a magazine and/or more sites.
- $0 for the first review (10-12 week wait) or $60 (2 week wait). Other options: $130 for 3 reviews (2-3 week wait) or $200 for 5 reviews (2-3 week wait)
- Only 4-star and 5-star reviews are posted. Authors are given private feedback for 1/2/3-star reviews.
- Reviews are listed on their site, along with Barnes & Noble and Google Books.
- $225 (5-9 week wait) or $300 (4-6 week wait)
- Books with 4-star or 5-star rating get the author an additional interview.
- Reviews are listed on their site, Ingram, and the Association of Independent Authors (AIA).
Self Publishing Review (SPR) review
- Three options: $70, $140, or $300 (2-4 week wait)
- Star rating if you spend $140/300, plus inclusion in their email newsletter.
- Reviews are listed on their site and social media accounts. FAQ
Self Publishing Review (SPR) – packages
- SPR sends out your book to people until you have a certain amount of reviews and sales on Amazon. Amount varies depending on what package you select.
- free for the first time you try it. $25 each time after (discounted with their subscription plan)
- Reviews are not guaranteed although you’ll probably get at least one. This is basically like running a contest: you give away your book, and hope for reviews in exchange for downloads.
- $0.0015 per word, plus a $50 administration fee. Includes a free sample line edit. ($163 for 75000 words.)
- Reviews are not guaranteed (mostly dependent on your book quality). If your book “qualifies” and you do want a review, then you’ll likely get a positive review. In general this is for a private pre-publishing consulation, like a beta reading.
- Reviews are not guaranteed, but they’re likely. This is more of a marketing and publicity tool than review source.
- For more information see their FAQ, Wikipedia, and a Publishers Weekly article
- Some people offer to list your book for you (for a fee). Examples include Digiwriting ($300)
- $40 for 5+ reviews
- For books doing a free/99c promotion.
Reading Deals (will have a price increase by the end of 2016)
- $40 (10-15 Amazon reviews and 15 tweets)
- $80 (10-15 Amazon reviews, “featured placement,” Facebook promotion, 45 tweets)
- $125 (~15 reviews) or $299 (~25 reviews)
- You’ll also have to pay Amazon gifting fees if you want a verified review there.
- $40 to $2500 (pricing chart)
- Reviews and sales are not guaranteed. You list your book and Bookbub sends out emails to people who might be interested in your book. Bookbub’s largest lists have over 3 million people subscribed.
- You have to apply and there’s a high rejection rate. An author wrote about her BookBub experiences on the Huffington Post. (archive link)
- (Personal notes: my first novel will be Fantasy. I’m in the USA so prices vary. If my book is accepted by BookBub, and it’s on a $0.99 promo, I pay $400. Their Fantasy list has about 1.5m people and the average book sells 1600 copies. That’s $1584 in sales. After I get my 35% royalty, I make $554 – so I’ll come out ahead. I’ll also gain reviews and fans, plus some newsletter signups of my own. Even for a free promotion, I spend $200 and don’t get any sales, but I get a lot of downloads. Bookbub’s average is 19,200)
- List of reviewers to individually contact.
BLOG TOURS, ADVERTISING, PROMOTION
- $40 to $220 (1-25 reviews which can be positive or negative)
- $25/50/100 (promotional book tour without guaranteed reviews)
- Advertisements on the site are $5/week or more
- $60 NetGalley listing
- No actual review. You’re featured on two websites, a magazine (you get a copy of the issue you’re featured in), a weekly email newsletter, Facebook, and Twitter. You also get a temporary digital subscription to Publishers Weekly (normally $19-21 per month).
TweetYourBooks.com – reviewers and beta readers
Goodreads 2012 Independent Book Blogger Awards
Midwest Book Review – print is free, digital is $50
Will Marck – may be inactive.
Stuart Thaman – Send paperback or digitally (Amazon gift). Reviews not guaranteed and waiting time varies. (Expedited review: $15)
OTHER STUFF WHICH IS KIND OF RELATED TO REVIEWS
80+ sites to advertise your book by James Calbraith
100+ ebook listing and review sites by John Kremer
Free sites to promote your ebook by GalleyCat